Memorial Day Weekend is the unofficial start of summer, and I could not be more excited. Living in the northeast, winter can make me feel like I’m in constant need of an escape. And I know I’m not alone!
It’s important not to forget the true meaning of the holiday: to remember those who’ve fallen serving America in the armed forces. You can read more about the history of the holiday here. Their service has provided us our many freedoms, many of which we’ll be indulging in this weekend.
I’ll be having a good old fashioned backyard BBQ this year, courtesy of a simple overnight escape, so my packing list is minimal. You can see my list below, plus a few other packing lists depending on where you’re getaway is for the weekend. Of course, each list comes with a makeup must have to match your vacation, too.
- Perfect Sunscreen. You can’t go anywhere without this any time of year, but it’s truly a must must must for summer.
- Dagne Dover’s Landon Caryall. I love this female-founded company’s neoprene bags (so easy to clean) that come in fun colors and fit everything I need for a quick trip overnight. There’s also a great place to store my laptop.
- American flag scarf. This comes in handy for chilly nights and is perfectly patriotic. It’s from one of my favorite boutiques in Denver (also female owned!!)
- Enduring Lip Color in Candy Apple. You can’t do MDW without a red lip! And I want something that is going to last throughout the weekend. This one will not budge.
- Make-Off Remover Wipes. After a long day of hiking or whatever outdoor adventure you’re having, these guys will make you feel fresh and dewy.
- Fjallraven Trekking Tights. These leggings are a literal game changer. The knee and butt pads make it easy for you to move around on a trek without worrying about scraping or tearing thin fabric.
- Casper Nap Pillow. When everyone is buying something, you know that’s because it’s great. And this brand is no different. This tiny pillow provides serious comfort and is tiny enough to fit in your backpack.
- Strike Rich Brow Gel. I find that no matter what adventure I’m on, if my brows are in place, I just feel better. If you opt for any makeup on your camping trip, this is worth adding to your routine.
- Cool Balm. Our lightweight moisturizer comes with soothing aloe that will be perfect for sunkissed (but sun protected!) skin.
- Sweaty Betty Carve Swimsuit in Blue Quartz. Don this royal blue stunner in the water as the one piece makes a major comeback. It’s sporty enough for activities with kids and family but chic enough to look stylish, too.
- Queenie by Candice-Cartie Williams. Download or pick up this page turner about a Jamaican-British woman going through a heart wrenching breakup. We all need a good book by the pool, right?
- Enduring Eyeliner Pencil in Brown. I still like to wear a little makeup on a beach day. And this waterproof liner won’t make a move even if you’re sweating bullets. I prefer brown to black for a more neutral look but you do you!